[tabs style="boxed"] [tab title="classes"] We don't offer regular classes right now, but there are still many ways to learn. These hoopers may also be able to help you with the-most-fun birthday party or stunning performances.
In-person hooping in southern Ontario
- Toronto - these hoopers offer classes, events and performances
- Guelph - Check out the Royal City Hoop Union
- Hamliton - Jen Fleming, RMT, teaches hooping
- Peterborough - visit the circus jams
- Buffalo - Check out the community facebook group
- Montreal - Contact Marianne at Hoop Danse
Online Hooping Resources
- Hooping.org - The center of the online hoop community. You'll find articles, videos, photos and links to local groups.
- HoopCity.ca - A social network for hoopers. This is a great place to go for new tricks and to chat with spinners all over the world.
- Search YouTube! Some WRH favourites are Babz and Caroleena
- Order a dvd and learn at home
Monday jamHosted by Sugar Hoops 8:45-10pm at Dovercourt House, $10 suggested
Silent Flow Arts JamOn hold until September! Thursday at Round, in Kensington Market Jam 8-10pm, pwyc, and stay later for Architextures
Beaches JamSundays 6-7pm, pwyc at Toronto Kyokushinkai Karate - 203 Kingston Rd
Outdoor jams (May - Sept)Hoopers meet weekly during the summer months, you can expect to find friendly faces, music and glorious sunsets. There's always an extra hoop if you forget yours, and some weeks these jams will keep spinning until it's dark enough for glow toys. There's no money collected, though contributions of snacks, hugs, and good times are always welcome! Tuesday evenings at Withrow Park, Wednesday evenings at Christie Pits, and Thursday mornings at Wanless Park.
New Model Circus ArmyNMCA is a weekly spin jam for object manipulators of all types - poi, staff, juggling, hoops too! Free. Tuesday nights in Kensington Market Join the facebook group for updates
Toronto Juggling ClubThis UofT based group meets weekly. They are primarily jugglers, tho there are some hoopers in the bunch and all are welcoming to hoops. Free. Join the facebook group for updates [/tab] [tab title="Resources"]
BIG THANKS to our Supporters
- Fox Jones built this site and keeps it working
- Violet Edwards designed the look of the site including the logo, page layouts, graphics and architecture.
- Leann Parker and Ritesh Das for their beautiful camera work
- Naoise, of Muskoka Hoops, who shaped our words for this site
- Mark Pemberton, Stratega Design, who created our business cards
- Audra and the Dark Side Studio - Modern belly dance that infuses hip hop, modern dance and technique, technique, technique!
- SPARKLES - these little tooth-gems keep our smiles sparkling. Love them.
- Tad Hargraves and Marketing for Hippies provided non-slimey marketing guidance
- Cami Rahman, RMT, contact Octopus Garden for bookings
- Synergy Fire Hoops - These are the only fire hoops we use! They are light and fast, and feel like regular hoops. Go to the 'More Hoops' tab in our store to buy their Quick Wicks
- The Hoop Path - Hoop teaching to guide you along your unique hoop path. Known for blindfolded hooping, quick reverses and rigourous hoop technique, all combined with deep introspection. Baxter teaches intensive weekend workshops in Toronto each winter.
Music we dig
- medicineman - This man knows how to make music for dancers -- go to every live show you can! He hosts a weekly radio show of select cuts and global grooves on CIUT.fm and posts it for download.
- Podrunner - Free, hour-long mixes with a set BPM, intended for running but great for heart-pumping hoop sessions.
- Soma fm - Many different radio streams, all hoopable! Listener-supported.